Since ancient times, humans have been infatuated with the concept of sterling silver jewellery. Sterling silver is one of the most popular precious metals on the planet, and is adored by both independent artisans and global jewellery houses alike.
So what gives sterling silver its eternal appeal? Read on as we explore what makes the precious metal so alluring.
Defining Sterling Silver To the everyday eye, sterling silver looks more or less identical to pure silver. Yet expert jewellers know the difference. Sterling silver is defined by 92.5% purity, with the remaining 7.5% made up of other metals like copper.
Rather than diminish its value, the addition of another metal enhances the durability of the finished product. Pure silver is soft and malleable, which can leave it vulnerable to scratches, discolouration and other imperfections. As an alloy of pure silver, sterling silver offers superlative durability. This means that sterling silver jewellery retains its shine and shape for centuries.
Versative Sterling Silver Jewellery trends come and go, but when it comes to timeless allure, sterling silver never goes out of vogue. No matter what styles are in mode, sterling silver is always used to craft high quality pieces. Its silvery shine pairs perfectly with any outfit, from understated monotones to kaleidoscopic prints and colours. Today, sterling silver is used to create designs of all shapes and sizes. From simple studs like these Square CZ Halo Earringsto glamorous statement pieces like these cubic zirconia encrusted Crystal Drop Earrings, sterling silver is a wonderfully versatile metal.
As sterling silver is a strong alloy, it can also be crafted into intricate shapes. For example, while pure silver would likely be too soft to craft the sharp lines of the arrow and tight curves of the chain seen in these Arrow Cuff CZ Chain Earrings, sterling silver does the job perfectly.
Powerful Choice For centuries, sterling silver has been coveted by ancient civilisations. Why? Because it’s thought to contain intrinsic powers that bring its wearer health, happiness and prosperity. Sterling silver has proven itself time and time again as a powerful antimicrobial agent. In ancient times, it was treasured for its ability to help wearers ward off infections, as well as fast-track the healing process. While it may not make an appearance in modern day hospitals, the spiritual connotations of sterling silver run deep.
As well as physical health, sterling silver is hailed for its ability to balance moods and improve energy levels. It’s thought that its natural properties have the power to offset external electrical disturbances, which helps to improve circulation, regulate body temperature and cleanse the mind.
So, as well as affordability and aesthetics, some believe that sterling silver goes hand in hand with a host of significant health benefits.
Enduring Sheen There’s no denying that the rich yellow lustre of gold is enchanting. But when it comes to precious metals that gleam, sterling silver takes the crown. The metal alloy is treasured for a reason, with its silvery shine making it hugely popular with ancient Egyptians, Celtic warriors and Hollywood ‘it’ girls alike. The scope to buff off age imperfections means that sterling silver earrings can be passed down from generation to generation, and still retain a gorgeous shine.
As a precious metal, sterling silver is beautiful enough to be worn all on its own. While some earrings are adorned with diamonds, beads and gemstones, this pair of Sterling Silver Bar Ear Cuff Earrings speak for themselves. Modern and minimalist, the shine of sterling silver is a statement in itself.
Wedding Worthy From crisp ivories to creamy champagnes, sterling silver jewellery lends itself to every shade of white wedding. Opt for simple designs that let the dress do the talking, or go all out glamourous with statement pieces like these Sterling Silver Teardrop Faceted CZ earrings. A central teardrop anchors the piece, with a fanned row of cubic zirconia stones cascading from the lower lobe. For brides in search of style and shine, they’re the epitome of contemporary luxe.
Caring for your sterling silver earrings Due to its sensitivity to water and air, sterling silver is prone to tarnishing. Luckily, this is easy to fix, with a simple polish with a silver cloth working wonders. Lustre can also be returned by buffing your sterling silver earrings with jewellery polish. In just minutes the shine will return, and you can step out in sterling silver earrings that turn heads.